As the warm weather approaches we all long for a cool treat to indulge in.
I’ve created what I feel is the most delicious and healthfully decadent ice cream recipe yet.
It harkens back to that rich creamy butterscotch ripple ice-cream that had the perfect combination of smooth caramel sweet with a touch of salt to balance the flavor. I used medjool dates, Himalayan salt, vanilla and crushed dark chocolate with almonds to add a rich crunch and sweet healthy flavors.
I created this ice cream for my brother-in-law who was musing on his fond childhood memories of butterscotch ripple ice cream. I served it yesterday at lunch and everyone was thrilled with my creation.
Vegan Vanilla Butterscotch Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream
12 Medjool dates, pitted and soaked for 2 hours and drained
1 Tbs. raw almond butter
1 Tbs. coconut cream (Artisana brand) or organic coconut oil
Zest of 1 organic orange
Juice of 1 organic orange
1 Tbs. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. Himalayan salt
4 Tbs. agave or sweetener of choice
1 3 oz. vegan almond dark chocolate bar, broken into small pieces
2 13 oz. cans or organic coconut milk
- Place first 8 ingredients in a food processor and process until very creamy and smooth.
- Add coconut milk to ice cream maker and process for 10 minutes or until it begins to thicken.
- Slowly add ¾ of the date mixture to coconut milk and process until it thickens. This will take an additional 15 minutes or so.
- Add chocolate chunks and process a few minutes longer.
- Pour contents into a freezer proof container. Swirl in remaining date mixture.
- Cover and put in freezer for several hours.
- Serve with chocolate sauce or addition chocolate shavings.
Does this satisfy your cravings for fond childhood memories of a trip to your favorite ice cream parlor as a kid?
This is the ice cream maker from Amazon that I use and love: